A pool builder’s guide to creating a safe and clean space
Click this link to listen to the full podcast on this topic - https://pod.fo/e/16355a
Have you ever wondered how the pool industry works? I'm sure you have. Well, I'm here to tell you everything there is to know about this exciting and important part of our world. Let's get started!
Discovering the pool industry in general
The pool industry is a big business. Oftentimes, when you think about what it means to own a pool, you might picture yourself lounging by one on a hot summer day—but this isn't always the case. Pool ownership comes with many responsibilities and obligations that aren't always obvious at first glance.
The first thing to take into consideration is whether or not your home has enough space for an in-ground or above ground swimming pool. If you live in an apartment complex or condominium where there's no allotted patio area, this may be impossible—and even if there is enough room outside your building, how will you keep track of all those chemicals? There are numerous reasons why people choose not to have them (including cost), but either way it's important for everyone involved—especially children—to know how dangerous they can be if used improperly.
Lifestyle benefits of owning your own pool
If you're thinking about buying a pool and want to learn more, keep reading. You'll find out how owning a swimming pool can be an asset for your home, help you stay fit and healthy, provide entertainment for your family and even give you some extra income.
- A swimming pool is a great asset for your home: Not only will it add value to the property when you sell it one day but it can also be used by all the family in the meantime. Your children will love splashing around with their friends while the adults enjoy some peace and quiet on those hot summer days - all while getting fit!
- It can be a great source of entertainment for your family: Having fun with friends is an important part of life that should never go out of style. A swimming pool is perfect for hosting parties because it allows everyone to take part in whatever activity they please whether that be water sports or just relaxing around its edge sipping cocktails as they watch others splash about!
- A swimming pool provides opportunities for exercise: It's no secret that our busy lifestyles mean we don't always have time available during our weekdays (or weekends) so having somewhere close by like this where we can go whenever needs must makes things easier both physically as well as mentally too."
“They are all alike, right?”
The pool industry is a unique business. Unlike the home renovation market, where most contractors focus on one type of product (i.e. kitchens) or one trade (i.e. carpentry), pool builders are often generalists and do everything from design to excavation to plastering to electrical and plumbing work.
It’s important that you understand who your contractor is—what their experience level is, what their credentials are and what their specialty is—before you begin construction on your new swimming pool or spa project because it can make all the difference in the world!
A pool builder’s job is very different to a home builder.
When you think of the words “pool builder”, what comes to mind? Do you imagine a construction worker who can build a pool? In some ways, this is true. However, there are many more details that make up the life of an experienced pool builder. A pool builder must be able to design, build and maintain pools. They must also be able to communicate with their customers and use specialised equipment and tools like cranes or welding torches.
Misunderstanding about hiring a pool contractor.
Pool builders and home builders are not the same. Pool contractors are not general contractors. It's important to understand the difference between these two industries, because only pool contractors have specialised knowledge about pools.
Home builders build many kinds of buildings, including homes, offices, retail stores and factories—they don't specialise in any one type of construction. A home builder may know how to build a house but probably doesn't know how to design or build a swimming pool.
Pool builders on the other hand are experts at building swimming pools; they're not general contractors who also happen to do some remodelling work on the side (like some plumbers). You can think of them as “Swimming Pool Specialists” or “Swimming Pool Experts” instead of just regular architects/builders/contractors
The secret to getting a great deal on your dream pool.
- The builder should be able to give you a detailed quote.
- The builder should be able to answer all your questions.
- The builder should be able to provide you with references and testimonials.
- The builder should be able to provide a contract that outlines the scope of work and payment schedule, as well as any warranties or guarantees that apply if something goes wrong during installation or after purchase (for example, if your pool liner is defective).
Communication is key.
It’s important for both sides to understand each other’s needs, wants and budgets.
If you are a pool builder and you have customers coming in with their own ideas of what they want, it can be difficult to decide how much time to invest in educating them about your product. These customers may be very excited about the idea of having their own pool built but they don't know all the details that go into building a quality pool that will last for many years. You need to be willing to spend time with them explaining why certain options won't work or why something that looks good on paper may not work well once constructed.
A builder’s point of view
- The first step to contracting a pool builder is to do your research.
- Pool builders are not the same as home builders.
- There are many benefits of joining an association as a business owner, including networking opportunities and access to resources for growing your company.
If you are not sure about the pool industry, we recommend that you do some research and learn more about it. This way, you will be able to make a better decision when choosing a builder for your dream swimming pool.
Want more resources to help build your building or trades-based business? Join us in the ToolShed - https://bit.ly/JoinTheToolshed